Connect with us

News

BREAKING: Uganda Tightens Ebola Monitoring After 3 More Confirmed Cases

Published

on

The Ministry of Health has confirmed three new Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) cases in Uganda, bringing the total number of confirmed infections in the country to five.

In a press release issued on Saturday, health authorities revealed that the new cases include a Ugandan driver who transported the country’s first confirmed Ebola patient and a Ugandan health worker who was exposed while caring for the index case. Both patients are currently receiving treatment.

According to the Ministry, the two Ugandan patients had already been identified as known contacts and were under close follow-up by surveillance teams before testing positive.

The third confirmed case is a Congolese woman from the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) who reportedly entered Uganda with mild abdominal symptoms. The Ministry said she traveled from Arua to Entebbe aboard a chartered flight before seeking medical attention at a private hospital in Kampala on May 10, 2026.

She was reportedly treated and discharged in stable condition on May 14 before returning to the DRC. However, health authorities later received information from the pilot who airlifted her, prompting further surveillance investigations. Samples retrieved from the patient later tested positive for Ebola Virus Disease.

The Ministry of Health said all contacts linked to the confirmed cases have since been identified and are under close monitoring and follow-up by response teams.

Officials have urged the public to remain calm, vigilant, and continue observing all recommended preventive measures, including reporting any suspected Ebola symptoms to nearby health facilities.

The Ministry further stated that surveillance, case management, contact tracing, and public awareness campaigns are being intensified to contain the outbreak and safeguard public health.

The latest developments come amid ongoing efforts by Ugandan authorities to prevent local transmission and reassure both citizens and international partners that the situation remains under control.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *