News

Netherlands Rejects New US Sanctions Against ICC Presdient, Top Lawyer

Published

on

ICC President Judge Tomoko Akane

The Netherlands has expressed strong opposition to the latest United States sanctions targeting officials and staff of the International Criminal Court (ICC), reaffirming its support for the court’s independence and ability to carry out its mandate.

Dutch Foreign Minister Tom Berendsen said international courts and tribunals must be able to operate freely and without political interference.

“The Netherlands disapproves of the latest sanctions against officials and staff of the International Criminal Court. International courts and tribunals must be able to freely carry out their mandates. We fully support the court and its staff,” Berendsen said.

His comments came after the United States on Tuesday imposed sanctions on ICC President Judge Tomoko Akane and senior trial lawyer Abdoulaye Seye. The measures freeze any US assets belonging to the targeted officials and restrict their access to the US financial system.

Berendsen said he had invited Akane for discussions on the Netherlands’ continued support for the court.

The Netherlands, which hosts the ICC in The Hague and is a State Party to the Rome Statute, has repeatedly emphasized the importance of protecting the independence of international judicial institutions.

The latest sanctions add to growing tensions between Washington and the ICC, which has faced increasing pressure from the Trump administration over its investigations and proceedings involving US and Israeli officials.

The ICC has previously warned that sanctions and other coercive measures against its officials threaten the court’s independence, judicial proceedings and ability to administer international justice.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Trending News

Exit mobile version